Are you tossing up whether to register for Ocsober this year, and cut out alcohol for the month? Well here are our top 10 reasons to sign-up:
1. Improve your health. Swap a glass of wine for water and you will be doing wonders for your skin as well as overall health. Use the month to focus on restoring a healthy glow, with diet and exercise.
2. Save money. Australians spend an average of $31 a week buying alcohol (Canstar Blue Study, July 11).
3. Do it for the kids. Be a positive role model and set a good example for young people. Research shows 25 per cent of 14-19 year olds drank alcohol on a daily or weekly basis in the last 12 months (AIHW 2005a).
4. Raise money for a good cause. Help raise $750,000 for Life Education to continue to deliver vital health, drug and alcohol education programs to Aussie kids in schools with their mascot Healthy Harold.
5. Wake up with a clear head. Avoid waking up feeling fuzzy, hung-over or tired. Short-term alcohol consumption can affect the brain and cause stress and sleep deprivation (MHMRC 2001).
6. Lose weight. Did you know there are 120 calories in a glass of wine and 170 in a schooner of beer?
7. Embrace the team spirit! Create your own fundraising team or ‘team up’ with the Ocsober Ambassadors and Legends and have fun this Ocsober. See who’s registered: www.ocsober.com.au
8. Get into good habits. If you have been indulging lately, this is a great way to curb drinking behaviour – with 15 per cent of adult males and 12 per cent of adult females reporting they drink at risky/high risk levels (Alcohol Consumption in Aust.:A Snapshot, 2004-05,ABS).
9. ‘Detox’ before summer! What better time to give your body some TLC than just before summer. Use this time to focus on getting fit and healthy before the glorious summer season arrives.
10. Do it for yourself. Prove to yourself that you can go for one month without alcohol, and that you can also have fun without it!
Register now at www.ocsober.com.au and create your individual or team fundraising page and join Legends around Australia in cutting out alcohol this Ocsober.
- Double Edge PR – T. 02 9957 1352